Weight loss supplements: Are they safe?Author: Oksana Aron, MD Source: Weight Loss NYC Jun 9, 2015
Over-the-Counter Weight loss supplements: Are they safe?
Have you tried everything?
All the fad diets.
All those weight loss drugs advertised on TV.
All those popular fitness crazes.
And they still didn't work for you?
People resort to desperate measures in their quest to lose weight, but what really works? That little fat-burning wonder cure you bought online, although it says it’s “natural,” may not be the miracle drug you’re hoping for. It may actually pose a serious health risk or even cause death.
5 dangers of unregulated diet supplements
A lot of those over-the-counter diet supplements are not helping people lose weight. Not only are they unregulated by the FDA, they’re also causing liver damage. Here are just a few startling facts recently published about bogus dietary supplements.
- They cause 20% of reported liver injuries
- They result in death or necessitate a liver transplant twice as often as liver injuries caused from FDA-regulated medicines
- They show little or no evidence for safety or efficacy
- The high amount of catechins typically found in unregulated diet supplements aren’t always labeled and can cause liver toxicity.
- Many of these products are mislabeled, have been adulterated or contain dangerous dosages.
The FDA is prevented from approving most of these weight loss drugs before they’re sold. Often, they can’t do anything until people have died from them. So it’s best to steer clear of any you find outside of your doctor’s office. If you've been taking these supplements in vain, toss them in the trash and start fresh. You can slim down and lose weight the right way without putting your life at risk.
Medical Weight Loss is clinically proven safe and effective
If you’re tired of trying to figure it out on your own, give us a call at 718-491-5525. Get expert advice on what medical weight loss supplements work for you and how you can lose weight fast and safely with physician supervision.
Labels: 718-491-5525, fast weight loss, fda, nyc, weight loss drugs, weight loss supplements