Trying to cut back on bread is challenging, here is a fun a simple recipe you can try and adapt to suit your needs. Psyllium fiber is a soluble dietary fiber with clinically demonstrated health benefits.
Use of psyllium in the diet for three weeks or longer often lowers blood cholesterol levels in people with elevated cholesterol, and can lower blood glucose levels in people with type 2 diabetes. Use of psyllium for a month or longer may produce a small reduction in systolic blood pressure.
Fiber is good for you because it is not absorbed, instead helps move food through your digestive system and other health benefits.
Ketogenic (Keto) Bread
Versatile low-carb, gluten-free, keto bread featuring psyllium fiber can also be used for BBQ hot dog or hamburger buns or even for garlic bread.
Yield: 6 rolls
- 1.25 cups (5 oz) almond flour
- 1/3 cup (1.75 oz) ground psyllium husk powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp sesame seeds optional topping
Preheat oven 350°F (175°C); also boil the water.
- Place dry ingredients in a bowl; Add vinegar and egg whites, mix.
- Add the boiling water, blending with a hand mixer for 30 seconds. Dough should remain thick.
- Shape dough into 6 rolls. (Tip: Apply a little olive oil to hands first.)
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Top with optional sesame seeds.
- Bake on lower rack in the oven for 50–60 minutes; rolls should be a bit firm on bottom.
- Top and serve as wish.
Prep Time: 15 minutes, Cook time: 1 hour
Nutrition per bun: 165 cal, 12g fat, 2g net carbs
Keywords: Bread, Low-Carb, Wheat-free, Breads, Gluten-Free Low Calorie Diet