Tis the Seasoning
[H]earty fall recipes make for a delicious autumn [treat] or Thanksgiving dish. …easy to prepare and packed with fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals—essential nutrients that boost the immune system, improve heart health, and reduce your risk for chronic disease.
Simple Butternut Squash Soup
Autumn is a special season with hearty options for your table. Quick and easy butternut squash soup! 165 cals/bowl. Vegan soup suitable for low fat and other diets.
Prep: 15 minutes, Cook: 1 hour, Yield: 3 cups
- Preheat oven to 425. Prepare a baking sheet with foil and light oil.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise, keeping the skin on. Scoop out seeds, optionally saving a few for roasted garnish.
- Lay halves face down on baking sheet along with any seeds. Accompany with lighty chopped carrots and onions. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove seeds, carrots and onions, bake the squash for another 30 mins or unti soft enough to scoop.
- Scoop out squash into bowl, discard skin. Mash the squash then move to a blender along with the carrots and onions.
- Blend on high - add 2 cups of water and seasonings (see ingredients)
- Pour into a soup pot to stir and warm up before serving. Add roasted seeds for garnish.
Ingredients: One butternut squash, 3 medium carrots, 1/2 medium onion, 2 cups water, Seasonings: 1/4 tsp white pepper, 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp garlic powder
Nutrition:165 calories, 4 grams fat, 3 grams protein, 20 grams carbs
Weight Loss Nutrition
Visit Dr Aron Medical Weight Loss Center at WeightLossNYC.com to learn more about her medical weight loss program and how it may benefit you.
Came across this gem, a nice spin on pizza dough, topped with a traditional pizza sauce.
New Twist on Dough
Ketogenic twist on classic pizza dough, topped with sauce and more to suit. Make, bake and enjoy.
Double boil or microwave the mozzarella to soften it for the dough blend, whereas the sauce need not be heated, the pizza will all be baked along with whatever toppings you like. Prepare the dough on parchment paper.
- 4 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella shredded & melted
- 4 tbsp almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tps italian seasoning
- 1 egg whisked
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1-1/2 tsp oregano
Reddit user pietyp shared this recipe;
Toppings whatever you like … mine was rotisserie chicken chopped up with mushrooms broccoli and red onion. [See photo] I did use some almond flour when forming the base just to give that semolina-look. It was honestly perfect. Definitely recommend..
Healthy Recipe Ideas
Ahoy! Ahoy! ⛵
Enjoy this simplest of “recipes” we think all ages will enjoy.Recipe? We don’t need no recipe…
Just find the veggies and dips you like and have at it!
Instructions: Gather veggies and spreads (here we used hummus) and some toothpicks. Hollow out vegetables and cut off the bottoms so they can lay flat. Assemble the boats with toothpicks and sail shapes as desired. And that’s it!
Seasonal fun, for all seasons
We loved this find just had to share with you as an all purpose healthy party snack, or anytime, nobody is watching, right? Have fun creating your own flavorful fleet!
Choose healthy meals, or make more at home
Source: Oh Happy Day, https://ohhappyday.com/2012/05/veggie-boats/
Trying to cut back on bread is challenging, here is a fun a simple recipe you can try and adapt to suit your needs. Psyllium fiber is a soluble dietary fiber with clinically demonstrated health benefits.
Use of psyllium in the diet for three weeks or longer often lowers blood cholesterol levels in people with elevated cholesterol, and can lower blood glucose levels in people with type 2 diabetes. Use of psyllium for a month or longer may produce a small reduction in systolic blood pressure.
Fiber is good for you because it is not absorbed, instead helps move food through your digestive system and other health benefits.
Ketogenic (Keto) Bread
Versatile low-carb, gluten-free, keto bread featuring psyllium fiber can also be used for BBQ hot dog or hamburger buns or even for garlic bread.
Yield: 6 rolls
- 1.25 cups (5 oz) almond flour
- 1/3 cup (1.75 oz) ground psyllium husk powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp sesame seeds optional topping
Preheat oven 350°F (175°C); also boil the water.
- Place dry ingredients in a bowl; Add vinegar and egg whites, mix.
- Add the boiling water, blending with a hand mixer for 30 seconds. Dough should remain thick.
- Shape dough into 6 rolls. (Tip: Apply a little olive oil to hands first.)
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Top with optional sesame seeds.
- Bake on lower rack in the oven for 50–60 minutes; rolls should be a bit firm on bottom.
- Top and serve as wish.
Prep Time: 15 minutes, Cook time: 1 hour
Nutrition per bun: 165 cal, 12g fat, 2g net carbs
Keywords: Bread, Low-Carb, Wheat-free, Breads, Gluten-Free Low Calorie Diet
Tasty Tofu Marinade
Tofu is a versatile vegetarian option for those seeking to supplement dietary protein without saturated fats. This baked recipe includes two different marinade types so try each as you wish. You can choose any tofu: firm, extra firm, fresh or frozen/thawed. Preparation time is about 30 minutes plus 30 minutes marination, plus 30 minutes baking time
16 ounces block firm, extra firm, tofu, fresh or frozen/thawed
2 T reduced sodium soy sauce
2 T rice vinegar (or balsamic or cider)
1 T honey or brown sugar
1 T vegetable or sesame oil
1/3 C Reduced sodium soy sauce
1/3 C lime juice
1 T vegetable or sesame oil
- Press water out of the tofu (see below)
- Cut tofu into desired shape: Triangles, cubes, slices or sticks.
- Mix marinade of your choice into a bowl, and add the tofu shapes.
- Marinate tofu for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare a baking sheet with foil for baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain the marinated tofu and place onto the baking sheet.
- Bake until tofu is firm and lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
- Turn pieces once during baking.
This low fat, vegetarian dish yields about 2-3 cups. Refrigerate any leftovers within 2 hours.
Nutrition facts: 100 calories per 3 oz, 6 g fat (0 saturated/trans)
How to Press Tofu
Pressing tofu removes excess water to make it more firm and helps marinades to absorb more easily. Soft or silken tofu is too fragile to press well — use those for creamy dishes like smoothies and dips. Frozen tofu will have an open texture with larger, visible holes.
To press fresh medium to super-firm tofu, apply gentle, steady pressure.
- Place tofu between layers of folded paper towels or clean dish towels on a plate.
- Cover with another flat plate to help distribute the weight.
- Add enough weight to press out liquid without collapsing the tofu. A large can of food would work.
- Let the tofu sit for 30 minutes or longer. Replace towels if needed.
- Cut the tofu into desired pieces and use or freeze.