How to Have a Happy Thanksgiving without Really Trying
We’ve prepared this Thanksgiving Survival Guide* to give you ideas on how to best avoid overeating this Thursday, and keep yourself together on your weight loss program.
Abate Your Appetite; Trounce Temptation
The best way to battle any festival meal, where eating is the presumed focus, is to reduce your appetite thus obviously significantly lowering your temptation. You can follow these steps as guidelines to keep you on track with your diet plan.
Before You Go
- As always, eat an appropriate breakfast as Dr. Aron has provided for your plan.
- Be sure to include a real protein source to invoke satiety.
- Keep up on your hydration. Drinking water will also help keep you feeling full.
- Likewise, throughout the day, avoid alcoholic beverages for their dehydrating effects and of course insane caloric values.
Boots on the Ground
Once you’re there, keep it simple and safe:
- Salad is always your friend. Enjoy the simple greens, not salads overladen with extras you know aren’t helpful to your diet.
- Veggies, again mostly green, also round out your plate nicely and fill you up before looking further.
- 4 ounce skinless white meat turkey as your meal protein. Keeping to the lower fat cut is the obvious choice.
- Small samples of gravy or sauces for flavor are ok yet at a minimum. Avoid alcohol drinks entirely.
- Small portion of potatoes or stuffing are better than breads and rolls.
- Dessert? Only if you must, enjoy a small one. Better to enjoy a little more turkey, or better yet veggies/salad, we suggest.
“When facing the challenges of dieting during the holidays, remember to keep your focus on what’s really important — the people you’re spending the holidays with." - Oksana Aron, M.D.
Remember Why You Came
Truly, the holidays are about getting together with friends and loved ones. Open your mouth more for the laughs and conversation, and keep the focus on the fun not the food. Think ahead when you get back home how much happier you'll be knowing you spent the day in conversation not in consuming unneeded calories.
Leftovers are Left for Others
You’re on a diet plan. You can leave them for others and keep the holiday meal behind as you walk out the door. Weather-permitting, keep on walking … and enjoy more conversation and fresh air as you move your body after a festival meal. When you get home, get back on your regular plan and keep the fond memories of the friends you enjoyed your holiday with.
Happy Thanksgiving, from Dr. Aron and Staff of WeightLossNYC
For more information on safe and healthy weight loss diet plans, visit our website WeightLossNYC.com and start losing weight, today.
*Thanksgiving Survival Guide, from Oksana Aron, M.D. is a copyrighted work by Weight Loss NYC® adapted from HRI Thanksgiving Success Plan. Image adapted from morgueFile.