Heath Risk factors and Diet Choices
[T]he typical American diet is shortening the lives of many Americans. Diet-related deaths outrank deaths from smoking, and about half of U.S. deaths from heart disease – nearly 900 deaths a day – are linked to poor diet. The pandemic highlighted the problem, with much worse outcomes for people with obesity and other diet-related diseases.
Read that again …
Global study finds bad diets are responsible for more deaths than smoking … As such, medical experts view proper diet as a pivotal component of patient health.
- Food as Medicine Consider your food choices as your direct first line of medical benefit (or demise!)
- Quality of Calories An essential component of Dr Aron’s Medical Weight Loss Programs is to focus on
quality caloriesto account for the quantity of calories.
- Diet and Lifestyle Counseling Getting proper guidance for which direction a patient should go to achieve healthy habits for both food and fitness, are also a core component of our programs.
You can take some simple steps on your own on your road to overall health:
- Limit Saturated Fats and Avoid Trans Fats These items are top targets on the diet do not call list! These are fats from meats, cheeses, and even coconut and palm oils
- Whole Grains Whereas cutting overall carbs is key, steering away from processed grains and choosing whole grains like brown rice over white rice, can make easy and helpful swaps.
- Go Green with leafy green vegetables, though the list of veggies is limitless, including
broccoli, sweet potatoes, beets, okra, spinach, peppers.
- Fruits provide fiber and more, despite their sugar content, so factor accordingly. Best to eat the whole fruit over drinks and smoothies which remove the beneficial fiber and concentrate the sugars
TL;DR: High fiber foods provide the most benefit in helping you feel full so you can eat less. So start your meal with your fiber and protein before reaching for the sweet or fat items.
Dietary and Lifestyle Counseling
U.S. Diet is Deadly,
Diet and longevity,
Bad Diets deadlier than smoking,