4 Reasons to Get Outside This WinterAuthor: Oksana Aron, MD Source: Weight Loss NYC Jan 6, 2013
When it's cold out, the last thing you want to do is get out and exercise. Surprisingly enough, when the temps dip down, it's actually the perfect time to get moving.
Here are 4 great reasons why you should exercise outdoors when it's cold (and be sure to grab your hat and gloves).
Breathing in cold air is invigorating
- Exercising outdoors--instead of the gym or in front of the TV--can boost your energy and mood, decreasing your chance for depression, says research published in Environmental Science & Technology.
Exercise makes you feel great
- Anytime you exercise, your body releases endorphins. This makes you feel good, which is something that can often be lacking in the winter months. Kick your exercise routine into high gear this winter to stay happy and healthy.
Your body burns more calories in cold weather
- You tend to move faster when it's cold, which means you can increase the calories you burn. A cold winter day is the perfect day to dust off your running shoes and push yourself to the limit.
A few minutes of exercise makes a difference
- If you think it's too cold or you don't have time to exercise, guess again. A new study in the American Journal of Health Promotion says that people who exercise in spurts of 10 minutes or less a few times a day had the same health benefits as those who exercised for longer periods in structured activities.
- Don't forget: those brisk walks to and from the subway count, so hop to it!
Got a new year's resolution to lose weight that you intend to stick to? WeightLossNYC can help! Call 718-491-5525 to schedule your first appointment with licensed bariatric weight loss specialist Dr. Aron.
Sources: WomensHealthMag.com; Health Behavior News Service, part of the Center for Advancing Health
Labels: calories, depression, exercise, lose weight, new york, ny, nyc, staten island, weight loss